Construction Industry Bootcamp 6. Learn how to build your career in construction! (9.10am-3.10pm)
Application deadline: 03/11/2022
Dates: 17/11/2022 – 17/11/2022
Only open to students resident in Northern Ireland.
Several construction companies and other Construction Sector support Organisations together with School Employer Connections (SEC) are pleased to launch the next Construction NI Boot Camp Virtual Work Experience Programme to Post-Primary Schools across Northern Ireland on Thursday 17th November 2022.
The programme is endorsed by the Construction Industry Training Board NI (CITB NI), the sector body.
The key objective of this virtual programme is to inspire young people to follow a career path in the construction industry by gaining an insight into the various roles in construction from key construction companies.
• The programme will be delivered virtually by Google Classroom on the Speakers for Schools platform
• The programme will commence at 9:10 and finish at 15:10.
• It is comprised of 4 x one-hour interactive sessions.
• Time will be allocated for regular student breaks i.e. 3 thirty-minute breaks during the day
Construction Companies and organisations involved in hosting these sessions include:
Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
Belfast Met (introducing BIM)
O’Hare & McGovern (OHMG)
McLaughlin & Harvey
Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE)
Ulster University School of Architecture and Built Environment.
Up to 60 student placements are available.
The below resources will be supplied to each registered student.
1. Spot the Skills – 12 Job Roles to investigate (Go Construct)
2. 11 Learning activities taken by SEC from the ‘Go Construct’ website
3. Careers Service – Guides to help with career planning
4. Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) NI – Construction Careers Information Pack
5. Work Inspiration Construction Factsheet
6. Workplus – exploring apprenticeships in construction
7. Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) – Careers in Construction
8. Scape Group & Balfour Beatty – Opening up construction and engineering to students
It is important to note that this is not an accredited course however undertaking steps to employment will boost young people’s prospects of obtaining future employment opportunities in the construction sector.
When applying, answer the following questions
- Why would you like a career in construction?
- Which of your skills would you like to improve?
- What would you consider a “great day” at work?
More about what we do:
Over 1000 employers support our programmes and we engage with ALL 193 post-primary schools across Northern Ireland. School Employer Connections enhances the range and quality of links between the world of work and the world of education in the north-west region of Northern Ireland, through development and delivery of appropriate best practice models and roll out of effective programmes. This is achieved through our three flagship programmes: Work Experience – i.e. covering work experience, work shadowing and work placements Class Programme – class study visits Website Our service users are: pupils between the ages of 12 and 18 years old in post-primary schools (i.e. both mainstream and special schools). careers teachers. subject teachers. Our providers are employers from all sectors i.e. private, public and voluntary
Skills/Experiences You Will Gain: