The charity launched ‘Bridging the Gap’ talk series with the UK’s top figures across industry and government and announced its new work experience platform
On 27th February, Speakers for Schools celebrated its 5th anniversary by launching its ‘Bridging the Gap’ talk series and campaign to continue encourage leading figures to give their time directly in state schools, and calling on leading UK employers to support our new work experience platform, S4SNextGen.org.
The range of speakers supporting the campaign and giving a school talk include: Dame Helen Alexander (Chairman, UBM plc), Matt Brittin (President, EMEA Business and Operations, Google), Mark Carney (Governor, Bank of England), Jeremy Corbyn MP (Leader of the Labour Party; MP for Islington North), Dr Nicholas Cullinan (Director, National Portrait Gallery), Sir Stuart Etherington (Chief Executive, NCVO), Tim Farron MP (Leader of the Liberal Democrats; MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale), George the Poet (Spoken-word artist), Baroness (Dido) Harding (CEO, TalkTalk), Theresa May MP (Prime Minister; MP for Maidenhead), Dame Carolyn McCall (CEO, easyJet), David Morrissey (Actor and director), Dr Minouche Shafik (Director Designate, London School of Economics) and more as listed below.
Although state school pupils make up 93 per cent of the school-age population, those from privately educated backgrounds dominate leading UK professions such as law, politics, medicine and journalism. Those from less privileged backgrounds face barriers in accessing the work place and a ‘class earnings penalty’, earning on average nearly £7000 less than those from more affluent backgrounds per year.
These speakers aim to bring visibility to the charity’s work and encourage their peers to take part through their own support, as well as helping to prepare the next generation by sharing their insights, advice and experiences.
Speakers for Schools has also signalled the forthcoming S4SNextGen programme – a new work experience platform that builds on the charity’s commitment to help bridge the gap by breaking down barriers to networks and organisations. S4SNextGen helps schools and employers target young people without personal networks or access to work experience, opening up placements at leading companies. Work experience is regularly cited as key to broadening work prospects and promoting greater social mobility, and 66% of employers think work experience is ‘essential’ when hiring at entry level. However, Ofsted finds work experience in schools relies heavily on the personal networks of teachers and pupils, which often means disadvantaged pupils miss out.
Throughout 2017 the charity is looking to offer their online tool to more leading employers and institutions passionate about opening up their workplace to harder-to-reach state schools and young people as an essential step in improving social mobility and increasing industry diversity. The roll out of Speakers for Schools S4SNextGen will begin with ‘digital pilot employers’ in select locations during 2017.
Speakers in the 2017 Bridging the Gap talk series include:
- Dame Helen Alexander, Chairman, UBM plc
- Simon Belsham, CEO, notonthehighstreet.com
- Matt Brittin, President, EMEA Business and Operations, Google
- Lord (Karan) Bilimoria, Co-Founder & Chairman, Cobra Beer
- Alastair Campbell, Strategist, Author and Mental Health Campaigner
- Mark Carney, Governor, Bank of England
- Douglas Carswell, MP
- The Rt Hon Nick Clegg, MP and Former Deputy Prime Minister
- Simon Collins, UK Chairman and Senior Partner, KPMG LLP
- The Rt Hon Jeremy Corbyn, MP and Leader of the Labour Party
- Dr Nicholas Cullinan, Director, National Portrait Gallery
- Fiona Dawson, Mars Global Food, President Mars Global Food, Drinks & Multisales
- Hugh Dennis, Actor, Comedian and Writer
- Sir Stuart Etherington, Chief Executive, NCVO
- Tim Farron, MP and Leader of the Liberal Democrats
- Douglas Flint, Group Chairman, HSBC
- David Giampaolo, CEO, Pi Capital Ltd and Trustee, Speakers for Schools
- Baroness (Dido) Harding, CEO, TalkTalk
- Christine Hodgson, Chairman, Capgemini UK and Chair, Careers and Enterprise Company
- Lady Barbara Judge CBE, Chairman, Institute of Directors
- Baroness (Martha) Lane Fox, Portfolio Chair and Entrepreneur
- Andrew Law, Chairman and CEO, Caxton Associates and Chairman, Speakers for Schools
- The Rt Hon Theresa May, Prime Minister
- Dame Carolyn McCall, CEO, easyJet
- Baroness (Estelle) Morris, Member of the House of Lords
- David Morrissey, Actor and Director
- Geoff Mulgan, CEO, Nesta
- Robert Peston, Political Editor, ITV and Founder, Speakers for Schools
- George the Poet, Spoken-word artist
- Sir Mike Rake, Chairman, BT Group
- Lord (Stuart) Rose, Life Peer and Former Chairman and Marks and Spencer
- Roland Rudd, Founder and Chairman, Finsbury and Trustee, Speakers for Schools
- Robert Senior, CEO Worldwide, Saatchi and Saatchi
- Dr Minouche Shafik, Deputy Governor, Bank of England; Director (designate) of the London School of Economics
- Kerry Taylor, CMO Viacom UK & SVP, Youth and Music, Viacom International
- Jimmy Wales, Founder, Wikipedia
- Sir Peter Wall, CEO of Amicus and formerly Head of the British Army
- Leanne Wood, Rhondda AM and Leader of Plaid Cymru