In October 2014 Speakers for Schools focused a talk series on ‘The Future of Innovation, Discovery and Connectivity’. The campaign was launched in a London school by Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia founder and internet entrepreneur.
Mr Wales’ talk on 1st October was streamed live across the UK. Students were able to watch from their classrooms in partnership with Google UK, the Times Educational Supplement (TES) and Founders Forum For Good.
The series aimed to help students embrace STEM subjects in school and beyond. The speakers involved in the campaign spoke about how they see the future of their respective industries and how STEM disciplines help us to think creatively and solve the issues facing society today.
Quotes from the series:
Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia founder and internet entrepreneur said:
“I’m excited to be involved in The Future of Innovation, Discovery and Connectivity Series. It’s very important that we get students interested in STEM subjects. I studied maths and finance, which gave me a strong platform to move into technology and start Wikipedia. Through my work at Wikipedia and the social digital entrepreneurship foundation Founders Forum For Good, I see investing in the next generation as an essential.”
Matt Brittin, President, Northern and Central Europe Operations at Google said:
“Google is thrilled to be supporting the work of Speakers for Schools and this special series of talks, as I am personally. Enhancing education and access through technology is a top priority for Google. We hope that by opening up these unique talks, sharing them online through our platforms, it will allow classrooms across the UK join the conversation with industry leaders about STEM and leave students inspired.”
The full list of speakers who participated included:
- Kate Bellingham, Engineer and BBC science presenter
- Matt Brittin, President, Northern and Central Europe Operations, Google
- Professor Brian Cox OBE, Physicist
- Ian Cumming OBE, CEO, Health Education England
- Sir Peter Gershon KBE, Chairman, Tate & Lyle
- Andy Green, CEO, Logica
- Professor Dame Julia Higgins DBE, FRS, FREng, Polymer Scientist, Imperial College London
- Dame Tessa Jowell DBE MP, Former Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport, and Board Member for Founders Forum For Good
- Dr Mike Lynch OBE, Co-founder of Autonomy, Founder Invoke Capital, and Board Member for Founders Forum For Good
- Dervilla Mitchell, Director, Arup Group, lead engineer for T5
- Eileen Naughton, MD Google UK and Ireland
- Sir John Parker GBE Kt. FREng, Chairman, Anglo American
- Noel Penzer, MD, AOL UK
- Dame Barbara Stocking DBE, Former head of Oxfam, current President of
- Murray Edwards College Cambridge
- Jimmy Wales, digital entrepreneur, Board Member for Founders Forum For Good, and co-founder, Wikipedia
Each year Speakers for Schools runs a national talk series in state schools on a topic important to both young people and our speakers — to see more themes and talk series over the years see our Campaigns Page.